Founded in 1898, Peking University was originally known as the Imperial University of Peking. It was the first national university covering comprehensive disciplines in China, and also served as the highest administration for education at the beginning of its founding. In 1912, the university adopted its present name.
Peking University has continually played the essential role of pioneers in the course of China’s modernization. The university’s traditional emphasis on patriotism, progress, democracy, and science, together with its educational standards of diligence, precision, factualism, and innovation, have been passed down from generation to generation.
Peking University has 14,465 undergraduates and over 15,100 masters and doctorates. There are 41 faculties and 271 research centers. Peking University is proud of its outstanding faculty, including 58 members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), 8 members of the Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE), and 16 members of the Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS).
The campus of Peking University, known as “Yan Yuan” (the garden of Yan) stands near to the Yuanming Garden and the Summer Palace, which is the former site of the royal gardens of the Ming and Qing Dynasties. It is surrounded by Weiming Lake and retains many traditional Chinese-style landscaping including traditional houses, gardens, pagodas as well as many notable historical buildings and structures.